Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Do Cloth Nappies make Nappy Rash Worse?

As a new mum, I knew that nappy rash was part and parcel of having a newborn in nappies. I'd heard stories and seen pictures of horrific nappy rash (just Google it!) plus I had skin problems myself, so minimising skin sensitivity was high on my list for our little man. I did my research on disposable nappies versus cloth nappies (read our Modern Cloth Nappy Adventure here) and I found a couple of interesting things. There are three things that cause nappy rash;



1. Chemical Sensitivities
Disposable nappies contain numerous chemicals to aid in increased absorbency which also reduce the amount of air circulation. Some companies also add that disposables can possibly affect male fertility by increasing the temperature of their boy bits by up to 1 degree, but I am a bit of a sceptic on this. Cloth nappies have their chemical flaws too, however you have more control over them. For example, the nappies must be washed and detergent can cause sensitivity.  The solution, either give the nappies an extra rinse cycle or change the detergent you use. Nappy liners can also help. For these reasons (plus being environmentally and economically friendly), Modern Cloth Nappies were a winner for us.

I also shopped around for baby wipes. Scented wipes, regardless of the brand, give me dermatitis on my hands, so I steered clear of these. In the end, I made our own wipes (see here if you would like to give it a try yourself as well!), that way I know exactly what I am putting on my little man's behind!

2. Strong Urine
The basic cause of nappy rash is faeces combining with urine, which irritates the skin. When bub is unwell, dehydrated or teething, their wee has a higher concentration of ammonia, which leads to more nappy rash. The solution, get more fluids into bub or change their nappy more often. If you change bub's nappy two hourly and as soon as you can after they poo, you will minimise the frequency and severity of the nappy rash. In fact, independent research has found that as long as a nappy is changed frequently, type of nappy worn is not a significant factor in causing nappy rash.



3. Skin Infections
This can happen when nappies aren't washed properly or if a yeast infection takes hold of your little one's nappy rash. Simply drying your cloth nappies in the sun and not using bleach or whiteners can really help with this. Also ensuring that the little bottom you are wiping is completely dry can minimise the possibility of bacteria growing.


So, in answer to our question, No. Cloth nappies do not make nappy rash worse. All three of the above mentioned causes can occur when using either a disposable or cloth nappy. The key to reducing nappy rash is to be proactive. Simply;
    - Change bub's nappy as soon as possible after it is wet/soiled


    - If possible, wash baby's bottom with warm, soapy water when changing their nappy, rinse and dry well. Also, avoid chemical wipes.



    - Use a barrier cream (we really like MooGoo Nappy Balm)



    - Have lots of nappy off time
I found, by being proactive, bubba's skin stayed beautiful and smooth, just like the day he first entered the world! Have you got any other nappy rash tips for new mum's and mum's-to-be? Just leave a comment below.

Phoebe
xo







No comments:

Post a Comment