For weeks, the thought of starting my little boy on solids has been giving me a migraine. There is so much conflicting information out there, I wasn't sure what to do. A quick google search will tell you that there are clear signs bub should exhibit before starting solids, including: good head control, loss of the extrusion reflex, sitting well when supported, development of chewing motions (less drooling and trying to eat fist), growing appetite, curiosity and doubled birth weight. On the other hand, this same search will tell you to start at 4 or 6 months, brings up the idea of baby led weaning at 8 months and then panics you with the thought that introducing bub to solids too early or too late can result in allergies. What is a new mum to do??
After researching and asking other mums for advice, I had made the decision to start Sam on solids on Christmas Day, 2 days before he was 4 months old. Christmas Day came and I just couldn't give him his first mouthful. I had even made pumpkin puree but just couldn't bring myself to feed him. Perhaps, I wasn't ready!?! Fortunately, during a visit to the doctor for our 4 month needles, she suggested starting solids. Apparently, this "consent" from a qualified, medical practitioner was all I needed, as we came home ready to give Sam his first mouthful!!
We started with pureed mango and he loved it. He devoured a whole mango! The little porker. We couldn't believe it. He even grumbled with impatience when we were too slow filling the spoon with more.
The next day, puréed sweet potato was not a favourite and we ended up resorting to some trusty old pear and mango.
We have started with one meal a day plus breast milk. By five months, he will have two meals and three meals by 6 months, plus breast milk. There's a lot of debate currently on whether to start bub on baby cereal or whether their little gut is too immature to handle the grains, which is why we have started on puréed fruit and vegetables. Next month I'm planning to introduce some creamed rice, yoghurt and custard based purées, with meats and grains following by 6 months. By 6 months, we might also start experimenting with new textures, with grains and mash instead of purées! How did you introduce your little one to solids?? Did you try baby led weaning? If so, how did you go about it?
I know it seems silly to purchase a book on puréed baby foods, but I went and got one anyway and I would highly recommend it to all new mums. The Australian Women's Weekly Food for Babies and Toddlers is written by Dr Joanna McMillan, an accredited, practising dietician and nutritionist. It has the standard puréed pumpkin, potato, banana etc which you obviously don't need a recipe for but there are recipes for puréed ratatouille, puréed cauliflower, pumpkin and cheese as well as puréed avocado, apple and broccoli. Combinations I would never have thought of and that Sam seems to love! The book has recipes for kids up to 5 years old, with great meal suggestions the entire family can enjoy.
As far as cooking up Sam's meals goes, I took on board some handy hints from the Babies Hints and Tips Facebook Forum. I cooked up several combinations and froze them in an ice cube tray. Once set, I transferred them into a freezer bag, recording the date. This was a very space friendly option for our very full freezer!
I'm glad we took the big step to start solids, Sam was clearly ready and he loves it. I think that I might have be in denial about how quickly he is growing up!!
xo

I think I need that book. I'm having a hard time to think what food shall I give to my lo.
ReplyDeleteIt is a fantastic book Anne. I highly recommend it.
Delete