Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Sam's Birth Story - As Remembered by Mum!

It's taken a couple of weeks, but I've finally gathered my thoughts, put pen to paper and can now share with you the story of Sam's birth. Next week, Mr J will make another guest appearance and share with you the events of the birth, from his perspective!

For us, everything started on the Saturday morning before Sam was born (this was 2.5 weeks before the due date). We weren't sure whether my water's had broken, so up to the hospital we trekked. The hospital were also unsure whether they had ruptured......as one midwife put it - "it's the art of midwifery, not the science!" So back home we went. It was so disappointing, we were so excited that we might be meeting our little man and I was completely over the heartburn my pregnancy was causing! Nevertheless, I was convinced that it wasn't going to be too much longer until bub arrived. It's hard to describe but I just had a feeling. I even had Mr J convinced he wouldn't need to go to work on Monday.


But Monday came and off to work Mr J went. I had decided I was going to have a busy day, with lots of walking and activity (why not embrace gravity?). I went grocery shopping, cleaned the house and even dug a hole in the garden! A little research also revealed positive results in studies looking into pineapple for the induction of labour. So I also ate half a pineapple for dessert......I was determined to meet my little man.

During the night, I woke for one of many, regular toilet visits. Whilst going to the bathroom, I felt a pop and a gush of liquid. So many thoughts rushed through my mind. I knew this was the start of labour, but also knew it could be a while until contractions started. I had also read many articles where the mums-to-be describe feeling a pop at the start of labour and I was sceptical. Amazingly, there is no other way to describe it! Lastly, I knew it could be a big day and as it was 1.30am, I thought it would be best if I went back to bed. This didn't last long. While I wasn't sure what to expect from a contraction, period pains started only about 15 minutes later, along with intense hip pain. This surprised me, nobody mentioned anything about pain in the hips and thighs. After a couple of contractions, at 3am, I gave the hospital a call, only to be told to ring back when contractions were 5 minutes apart.

With a belly full of butterflies, I decided it was time to wake Mr J. I was so excited, nervous and scared when I whispered in his ear that he wouldn't be going to work today. To his credit, he woke up straight away and asked how I was feeling and whether there was anything he could do. He tried to convince me to go back to sleep, but sleep evaded both of us. So we made pancakes for breakfast, watched Sunrise on television and packed our bags. But things weren't happening very fast. At one point I even googled 'false labour'! Finally, by 5pm contractions felt like they were 5 minutes apart, so up to the hospital we went. It was so surreal saying goodbye to Bella and Lucy and driving out the driveway, knowing that when we returned we would have an extra member in our family!

Pancakes and contractions - A lovely mix!
At the hospital, we decided to park and walk across to the Mother's Hospital, rather than drop me off (again, why not embrace gravity!). On our way, we passed some charity workers, who attempted to strike up conversation. I was so rude to the young girls, as I ignored them and walked straight past. I'm pretty sure they forgave me, when only 10 steps further, I paused for a contraction. Upon arrival at the Pregnancy Assessment Unit, I was examined. We were 4cm dilated and 100 % effaced! I remember thinking 'Yay, we are having our baby tonight!!'. After a quick stretch and sweep, we were told to go for a walk to move things along. Mr J used this as an opportunity to call family and friends and let them know that he may call through the night with good news. As the contractions started to ramp up, I became overwhelmed, nervous, excited, scared and so thankful Mr J was by my side. This was the first time I became teary but it wasn't due to pain. I was nervous about what was ahead of us!

We returned to the room after an hour and the contractions were becoming very painful. Mr J was helping, rubbing my back and thighs, coaxing me through my breathing and trying to keep me hydrated between contractions. But the pain in my lower back was intense. A midwife offered me Sterile Water Injections as natural pain relief and I accepted. She did warn me that it would feel like an excruciating bee sting but in all honesty, I was not prepared for the pain that it induced. When they injected the water, my entire body writhed in pain, I felt my eyes roll back, I pretty much cut Mr J's blood supply off by squeezing his hands so hard and it was the only time during labour that I swore. The pain shocked my body so much I even vomited but the pain relief was instant. For the first time since 1.30am, I was actually able to lie down! As difficult as the injections were, it really helped me get through the next 4 hours of contractions.

After water injections - Still smiling!
At 11pm, we were re-examined. 7cm dilated! We were officially in active labour. It was such a relief to hear we had progressed so much. "This is easy" I thought and Mr J was clearly thinking similar as he mentioned that perhaps we could get through without pain relief! As the midwives organised a birthing suite for us to move to, the contractions were beginning to hurt again. Finally, we were moved to the suite and immediately we hoped in a hot shower. It's funny. Everybody has always said that modesty goes out the window when you have a baby, but I was adamant that I wasn't going to let everything be on show. Turns out everybody was right, I couldn't have cared less, all I wanted was that hot water, so off the clothes went! 

After the shower, when the pain picked up again, mentally I really started to struggle. Whilst Mr J and I were never against pain relief, I really felt I was letting Mr J down if 'caved in'. In hindsight, I have no idea where this feeling came from. Before the birth, we had both said that if me or the baby needed pain relief we would go with it and our birth plan was to go with the flow. And yet, whilst in the moment, I could think about nothing other than letting Mr J down and associating pain relief with cheating myself out of experiencing childbirth. But I was really struggling and Mr J could see it was getting harder, so when I mentioned maybe trying the gas, he was straight onto organising it. I didn't really feel much difference with the gas until Mr J cranked it right up when the midwife ducked out of the room! Nevertheless, even with the gas, the contractions were picking up. I wasn't staying calm and I wasn't breathing through the contractions, even with Mr J reminding me. It was at this point, with tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat, I told Mr J I couldn't do it and I suggested an epidural. He could see I was desperate and straight away organised it with the midwife. The anaesthetist took forever. Prior to him arriving, the midwife re-examined me. The news was so disheartening. Still 7cm. No further progress even though the pain had ramped up so much, although I was now happy with the decision for an epidural.

Epidural just gone in - Blissful pain relief!!
Ready to push!!
At 4am, in the epidural went, my waters were broken and I was given syntocin to encourage things along. Finally we were able to rest. I think Mr J was sitting down for a whole of 2 seconds before he nodded off! I tried my hardest to get some rest and I think I managed 2 hours of sleep. We had a change in midwives and were re-examined at 9am. We were 10cm dilated!! Awesome, we were good to go! I knew the next couple of hours were going to be tough but also knew that Mr J would help me get through. The midwife told us it would take 1.5 hours of pushing and bub would be born. At 10am, we started pushing. We were still pushing at 12pm. I was wholly consumed by concentration and not really paying attention to the time or to what was happening in the room. All I could here was Mr J telling me to keep going and that I was doing so well. So when I opened my eyes to a doctor stroking my forehead, asking if I wanted help, I was slightly startled but quick to accept her offer. It was at this point, when out of my 'zone' that I realised something was wrong. The room was filled with people, the bright lights were on and everyone was buzzing around me. But I didn't have long to think about that, I had a job to do. I had to keep pushing. This was when the obstetrician would do her thing. First contraction, she gave me an episiotomy. Next contraction, she said bub should be born with the assistance of a vacuum. I felt so much pressure during this contraction. But still no baby. She then told me that the baby needed some more help and said that people might start pushing on my stomach or roll me over during the next contraction. All I was thinking was this wasn't the plan. Why wasn't it happening smoothly? And then I lost it. I couldn't regain my composure. I could hear Mr J telling me to breath, but I couldn't control what was happening. I was crying, scared, in pain and felt like a kangaroo was coming out of my who-ha! 

The next thing I knew, my beautiful baby was here. I couldn't stop crying and seeing Mr J tear up made me cry even more! A very healthy, little boy, weighing in at 9lb 2oz, measuring 53cm long, born at 12.07pm, 32 hours after my first contraction!. Someone asked what his name was and we replied Samuel Richard Shorter. 

Samuel Richard Shorter
Mr J cut the cord and went over to watch our baby boy be measured and cleaned. As I lay there, I knew something was wrong. The obstetrician kept saying surgery and theatre, the midwives were hooking my drip up to more fluids and someone went to grab the anaesthetist. It turned out, that on top of the episiotomy, I had a third degree tear and had lost 1L of blood. But none of this mattered when they placed my little Sam on my chest. He was so perfect. I was so happy, proud and completely in love. But after only 5 minutes, I was taken to theatre. Being wheeled away from Mr J, was one of the most difficult things for me emotionally. He was right by my side for the entire birth, filling me with a strength and determination that I didn't know I had and then I was on my own. But I took comfort in knowing he was with our little man!

Mum's first cuddles

In recovery, Mr J and Samuel joined me and I attempted breast feeding. Finally, at 2pm, Mr J was able to call our very worried family and friends and share the news. Giving birth was the most intense, humbling and amazing experience, where I think I went through every possible emotion. It has opened my eyes to the miracle that is the female body and child birth, it has strengthened my relationship with Mr J and it has made me thankful for modern healthcare! And now, I can't get enough of my little man!


7 comments:

  1. Wow, what a journey! You are remarkable! I am due Jan 1st, 2015 and I'm getting nervous for the delivery, yet can't wait to meet him! Congratulations on the healthy birth of your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're due on News Years Day! What a fantastic Christmas present that will be. Don't be to nervous about the delivery.....I had quite the labour experience but won't hesitate to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a scary, amazing experience. Can't wait to share my view of things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the birth of little Sam. It was really amazing of you to share that experience. I enjoy reading your blog so much & think that it is really powerful. I hope you are all doing well, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well!! Just wiping away my tears after reading this...it bought back so many emotions. You are so amazing and I am so happy that you have documented your story. I really wish I had as I know I have already forgotten so many emotions of the experience. I think that is that we go back and have more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cried through this whole story. You're so inspiring. Congrats Phoebe and Mr J!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I didn't really feel much difference with the gas until Mr J cranked it right up when the midwife ducked out of the room!" - classic!! This made me laugh! Good on him and all the other faithful hubbies out there who are by their wives during labour.

    ReplyDelete