Moving on from pyjamas, I thought I would make Samuel something to where on Christmas Day. I wanted it to be Christmas themed but not over the top. It also had to be nice and cool because Christmas in Queensland is generally quite warm! So a singlet with nappy cover is perfect! I ended up making the nappy cover a little bigger to fit perfectly over our cloth nappies. One thing is for sure, our little man is going to look gorgeous!
What you need:
A fat quarter (Christmas Print)
1/4" elastic
1/2" elastic
Kids Singlet
First, download our 2 page pattern HERE for free. The pattern comes in 4 sizes and is fitted for use with cloth nappies. If you use disposable nappies, simply use one size smaller, with the correct length of elastic.
1. Cut out the desired size pattern for the nappy cover and applique.
2. Fold the material in half and place pattern edge on the fold where indicated. Cut out both back and front pieces, as well as the applique.
3. Place the nappy front and back pieces, right sides together and sew down edges 1, 2 and 3, using a 1/2" seam.
4. Reinforce the edges of each seam with a zigzag stitch.
5. Create pockets for the elastic in both leg holes by folding the material edge over 1/4" and press flat. Fold over another 1/2", pin and then sew in place, leaving a 2" gap for the elastic.
**Note that the edges may pucker and won't look perfect, but this won't matter once the elastic is in!
6. Create a pocket for the elastic in the waistband by folding the material edge over 1/4" and press flat. Fold over another 3/8", pin and then sew in place, leaving a 2" gap for the elastic.
7. Cut the elastic to the desired length according to the pattern and insert it into each pocket (the 1/2" elastic goes into the waistband, 1/4" into the legs) using a safety pin.
8. Once all the way through, overlap the elastic by 1/2" and attach using a zigzag stitch. Cut off the tail and sew the remainder of the gap closed.
9. Position the applique on the centre of the singlet and attach using fusible webbing.
10. Sew around the edge using a blanket stitch.
How beautiful is that!
Phoebe
xo


wow!! Looks great. May I know what kind of fabric is this? I have my sewing machine here, I know how to sew but my problem is I don't know what are the type of fabrics will I use.
ReplyDeleteHi Anne, I have used 100 % cotton for this nappy cover. Living in Queensland, this is one of the best fabrics to use to allow baby to stay cool. It would also look pretty cute in denim. I can do a post explaining which fabrics are best used when if you like ?
DeleteWow! Thanks, that would be great! I really want to make dresses for my daughter. ;-)
Delete