I've been doing a lot of reading on facebook (what else am I meant to do while breastfeeding?!) and I've noticed there are two distinct groups when it comes to the use of modern cloth nappies - the lovers and the haters! The distributors like to spruik a third group called part time cloth users (those who use them sometimes) but when it boils down there is a reason they are only part time users. We are two months into using modern cloth nappies and I definitely belong in the "I love them" category! You really do get thrown in the deep end if you decide to use cloth from the outset. They really do take so much more knowledge – from choosing brands to getting the fit right to the laundry. The learning curve is steep, but I've found the experience pleasurable (aided by my lack of sleep deprivation I think!).
We have about 24 nappies that we rotate through, with 12 extra inserts. They are one size fits all (OSFA), so perfect for use even when Sam was first born! Even though we have so many, I still do wash one load of nappies every morning. Strip washing them is a pain though (this means washing them with dishwashing detergent and then through another 4 rinse cycles) and I'm guessing that we may need to do this again as we are starting have some problems with leakage. Also, we have had some problems with nappies staining......we hang them in the sun everyday but the nappies which held a poo explosion are tending to stain in the elastic. Any suggestions on how to stop this?
My favourite nappies are the Spots n Bots velcro ones. The velcro strip just make it so easy and quick to do a nappy change. All of our other nappies are Bubeez Snap nappies, which are good but I end up unsnapping and re-snapping to get a snug fit. I've also noticed that the Spots n Bots are least likely to leak as well. Our nappies are all pocket nappies, which means you are meant to put your insert into the pocket. This is time consuming, annoying and results in a dirtier nappy, so we haven't been bothering putting them in the pocket but just placing them on top. We have also been using flushable liners, which lay on top of the insert and are lifted away to flush solids down the toilet. Perfect to keep your hands from getting dirty!
We were also having a problem with leaking overnight but have since solved this by using Charcoal inserts. It turns out that organic fabrics are more absorbent than the cotton inserts that come with the nappies. So during the day we switch between cotton and bamboo inserts, and then use charcoal inserts for overnight.
Now I say bring on the cloth wipes and cloth swimmer nappies!! Another question for you all.....do you soak your cloth nappies in water while waiting to be washed??
| Our very first time in cloth |
| Now we are pro at cloth! |
Phoebe
xo
No comments:
Post a Comment