Monday, 4 August 2014

How to Save Yourself $481.96!!!

When compared to other baby-associated costs, baby wipes don't really seem like a big deal. But when you consider the cost over time, this cost is rather high. For example:

You buy 1 pack of disposable wipes for $4.99 per week in the first two years of bub's life = $518.96!!

The total cost for the products needed in today's tutorial - Making Re-Usable Baby Wipes, is $37 ($17 for towelling, $2 for cotton, $3 for lunch box, $3 for garments bag, $12 for Lavender Essential Oil).

That's a saving of $481.96!! (It sounds like I'm trying to convince you to buy something!!)

On top of this, re-usable wipes are also an eco-friendly, green and natural way to clean bub's bottom. I've got a lot of skin allergies (it's fair to assume bub's will too!) and when using disposable baby wipes my dermatitis has the tendency to flare up. This is due to chemicals that are in disposable wipes (parabens, phenoxyethanol, tartaric acid, citric acid and benzoic acid to name a few). By making my own re-usable wipes, I can control what my baby's beautiful skin is exposed to.


I can understand why re-usable wipes won't be everybody's cup of tea. And I really am making the assumption that mums who use modern cloth nappies, will be the ones who are most interested in this tutorial. Hence the following statement, there is no real inconvenience to routine when using re-usable wipes. They can be washed with your MCN's, soaked in the same bucket and finally they can be put into the same wet bag when out and about.

So after the big lead up, how do you make Re-Usable Baby Wipes? 


This is perhaps the easiest, least time consuming tutorial I have posted so far on my blog. It took me 1 hour to make 15 wipes.

To make the wipes you will need 0.4m towelling and matching cotton.
To make the kit you will also need a sealable lunch box, a special garments washbag and some essential oils.

Things to consider:
1. What type of towelling
  • Cotton Terry Towelling: Nice and soft, effective for cleaning poo. Cheapest option. 
  • Velour Towelling: the softest option, biggest bonus is one side good for cleaning poo, the other (softer) side good for little hands and feet! (this is the option I went with). Relatively inexpensive.
  • Microfibre: Not for use with poo.
  • Bamboo Towelling: Same as for Velour towelling with the added advantage of it being naturally anti-bacterial. More expensive and difficult to source.

2. Essential Oils
  • Lavender: great for soaking wipes as it has a wonderful calming effect on bub, with the added bonus of anti-septic qualities. Can also use Chamomile, Mandarin, Rose, Rose Geranium or a blend. 
  • Tea Tree Oil: great for washing wipes in, with the added bonus of anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties. Can also use Lemon Tea Tree, Mandarin or a blend. This is optional.
1. Cut 15 wipes from your towelling. The size is customisable, I used 8" squares.


2. Use an overcasting stitch (consult your machine handbook for the most optimal stitch number) on all four sides of each wipe.




3. Wash wipes.



How to use wipes
1. Fill the lunchbox with enough water that the wipes will absorb most of it and not be dripping.
2. Add 4 drops of chosen soaking essential oil.
3. Add wipes, ensure they are damp. Use when required.
4. Once soiled, place in a bucket of water (with 4 drops of washing essential oil).
5. Ensure wipe is immersed in water until washed.

I hope this inspires you. Let me know if you like me pointing out the savings you create when I post a tutorial.

Phoebe
xo

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE my heap of cloth wipes. So much that my mom is making me more on he serger even though potty training is right around the corner--noses aren't gonna stop running :-). If you really like tea tree or lavender oil, you can go for it (but consider doing a patch test--baby might be sensitive), but my two cents is that they are not necessary. I've always used plain water. Baby gets a bath later anyway. Tip, though: If you want to store wipes for more than a few days, make sure to boil the water first, because otherwise it will get stinky. Congrats on impending new baby and make sure to check back in if you need any help with troubleshooting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! It didn't even cross my mind to do a test with the oils first. And what a great tip about boiling the water. I'm happy to see that washable wipes are increasing in popularity!

      Delete
  2. Hi Phoebe, thanks for this awesome tutorial! Where did you buy the towelling from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Mikaela. I picked up the towelling from my local spotlight (when it was on special). Lincraft stock it also. If you aren't happy paying full price (around $30/m) it is definitely worth looking around, even trying ebay!

      Delete
    2. Good to know - thanks!

      Delete