Friday, 15 August 2014

Basket Liner Tutorial

I recently purchased a couple of baskets from Ikea for Marbles room. They were rather plain (actually they were designed for outdoor use) and I wanted to spiff them up a little and make them more "nursery" friendly. So I thought that I would give basket liners a go! I've never made basket liners before, but I have to admit they were pretty easy. In fact, the first one I did turned out great but I had to fiddle with the second a little bit (I made the lining too small for the basket, so it didn't fit!).




As far as quantity of fabric you will need, this depends on the size of your basket. The baskets I covered were quite large (45cm deep) so I ended up using 1m of fabric for the lining (grey cotton) and 30cm of the giraffe print. If you want to be more accurate, you could always measure the depth and circumference of the basket to determine how much fabric to purchase.



1. Iron the fabric you have chosen for the lining and lay flat. Outline the bottom of the basket + 1/4" onto the fabric and cut it.



2. Cut out two panels of the fabric. The size will be determined by the basket. For the right depth, simply lay the basket on the fabric and cut to size + 1/2". To achieve the correct width, ensure that the panel fits loosely, half way around the basket + 1/2". Alternatively, you could cut the panels according to a measured depth and circumference.



3. Sew the two panels together using a 1/4" seam.


4. Pin the base to the panels. Ensure that the seams will face the same way. You might find it easier to fold the circle into quarters and then pin the fold lines to the corresponding seams on the panel. Next, place a pin half way through each quarter and then add darts if required (this will most likely be necessary as we didn't account for the contour of the basket when we cut out our panels). To create a dart, pucker the excess material, fold to one side and pin.





5. Attach the base, using a 1/4" seam

6. Cut out two strips of your decorative fabric, the same length as your lining panels and approximately 6" wide (give or take depending whether it is patterned).


7. Sew the panels together at one end, using a 1/4" seam and then hem the bottom edge of the fabric. To do this, fold the bottom up by 1/4" and press flat. Fold up another 1/4", press flat, pin and sew in place.


8. Attach the fabric strip to the lining fabric. To do this, lay the fabric on the lining (right sides together) and sew together using a 1/4" seam. It is important to leave about a 2" tail of the fabric at the beginning, so that when you finish attaching it to the lining, you can attach the other end of the fabric and create a clean finish (see how to finish bias binding).

9. Fit to basket. If your basket has handles (like mine), simply sew in some button holes where the handles exit.

The difference the liners have made is amazing! In total the liners cost $6.50 each and I paid $15 for each basket. So I definitely came out on top in the end (in store I would have paid in excess of $60 each). I hope your liners turn out just as nice!

Phoebe
xo

P.S. If you have found this helpful, please let me know in the comments section! Or try sharing it with your friends on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment