Thursday, 21 August 2014

How to Make Cot Sheet Sets for Under $25

When I was shopping for bed linen for Marble's new room, I was astounded by the price of some products. Considering that these items have a very pooey and bodily fluid filled future, I wasn't to thrilled to pay upwards of $60 for a cot sheet set that didn't include a valance. In the end, I decided to make most of the bedding (with a couple of sneaky purchases, that were too adorable to pass up!) 

So I thought that today was the perfect time for another 4 part series! Over the next four weeks, I'll share with you patterns and advice, so that you can make your own cot valance, fitted cot sheets, cot top sheets and baby pillow covers. I've also received an old flannelette single bed cover, so I'll show you how easy it is to convert it into a cot sheet set. The best news of all though, is that we are only going to spend roughly $25 to make all of these things! What a saving! Now you can have linen that matches your nursery, without spending a fortune.



To kick off our 4 part series, I thought that we could start with the Cot Valance (also known as a Cot Skirt). Very quick and simple to make, in fact it takes 45 minutes to complete the one I will show you today. Firstly though, I've turned to good old Pinterest for some inspiration. Most of the images involve a small change in the pattern that I am going to share with you. If you really like something though and you are unsure how to go about making it, leave me a comment at the bottom of this tutorial and I'll see what I can come up with for you :).

Image Courtesy of http://www.studiocollection.co.za
Image Courtesy of http://www.comeonilene.com
Image Courtesy of http://www.inspireddomesticity.wordpress.com
Now that you have an idea of patterns and colours we can make a start. Most cots are a generic size, so I haven't made an adjustable valance. The valance we are going to make to day is similar to what you would buy in store. 

1. Purchase your fabric. 1m of patterned fabric and 1.8m of plain fabric is all you will need to complete all components of our sheet set. Also, 1 reel of contrasting ribbon and co-ordinating thread.
**Hint: Flannelette fabric "feels" warm to lie on and won't startle a baby when settling them in the middle of the night. Cotton fabric breathes better and is better for warmer climates.
**Hint: Spotlight have an entire fabric section devoted to Sheeting. This is the stuff to buy. It is wider than standard cotton fabrics, meaning you won't have a seam running down the middle of your sheet. 


2. Cut 4 strips from each fabric. Make sure you use your fabric wisely and minimise wastage.
  • 2 Plain fabric strips - 48.5" x 5.5" (Piece A)
  • 2 Pattern fabric strips - 48.5" x 6.0" (Piece B)
  • 2 Plain fabric strips - 29.0" x 5.5" (Piece C)
  • 2 Pattern fabric strips - 29.0" x 6.0" (Piece D)

3. Sew together the longer plain and pattern fabrics (Piece A + B), by placing right side together and joining with a 1/4" seam. Repeat with the shorter pieces (Piece C + D). At the end of this step, you will have 4 11.5" wide pieces of fabric, two longer and two shorter.


4. Hem the three free edges (leave the longer side of the plain fabric). To do this, fold the edges of the fabric by 1/4" and press. Fold over another 1/4", press and pin in place. Repeat for the other three edges. Once pinned, sew in place. 
**Hint: for a neater finish, hem the two shorter edges first and then hem the longer edge.


5. Cut a panel from the plain fabric that measures 48.5" x 29.0". Pin and sew each strip individually. Start by placing a shorter fabric strip onto the panel (right sides together). Ensure that the position the edge of the strip is 1/4" from the corner of the panel (see below). Pin the entire length of the strip to the panel and then sew together using a 1/4" seam. Repeat for all four edges.




6. Overlap each corner and re-enforce with a diagonal stitch. This will result in the valance hugging the edge of the cot base rather than just falling. Simply omit step, if you would prefer it not to hug.


7. Lay ribbon over the seam between the patterned and plain fabrics. Leaving a tail of 1" on either end, pin in place. Fold the tail behind the fabric, ensuring that it remains aligned and pin in place. Attach to valance, with coordinating thread, ensuring that you sew through both the tail and the ribbon at the beginning and end of each strip.




Ta-Da. You are complete. Let me know what you think. Would you like to see a couple of tutorials encompassing several valance designs?

Phoebe
xo

Other, parts to this series include:


No comments:

Post a Comment