Monday, 13 January 2014

The Dual Panel Bib Tutorial

Well the time is here for me to share with you my first tutorial!! I've been putting together a list of things to make for our pending arrival, so if there is anything that you might like me to add please let me know. 

I thought that today, I would start with the basics.....baby bibs. And who doesn't love a cute baby bib? All of the patterns that I share with you will be available free to my readers for the first month and then they will be available through the Buttons & Booties Etsy store. I imagine that when I start using bibs at feeding time for my little one, I will find a favourite. I hope you do to!



I have many different bib patterns with ranging sizes and styles that I will upload over the coming months. Today however, we are going to make the Dual Panel Bib. This is a really simple pattern using remnant fabric. You can make a bunch of bibs in one sitting or try some variations which I have linked in at the end of the tutorial. Either way, you can whip up a beautiful baby shower gift in no time! Download the pattern here.

1. For my bib, I needed my fabric to be 10 inches by 12 inches. Adjust this accordingly if you decide make a smaller bib. Sew the pieces together and press the seam open.


2. Cut out the template and join pieces A and B with arrows in line. Fold the fabric in half and place the edge of the template flush with the material fold. Trace the template and cut.
**Tip - when tracing the template don't be afraid to use a marker or something more permanent than chalk as it will end up on the inside of the bib once finished.


3. Use the fabric cut out to trace the bib onto the chenille towelling. (I like to use towelling for the backing but you could use flannel, fleece, minkie, whatever).


4. Cut the towelling. Place the fabric and towelling right sides together.


5. Sew together using a 1/4" seam. Make sure you leave an opening of about 2" to turn the bib in the right way.


6. Trim the excess fabric, mostly clip the curves (you could use pinking shears for this but I don't own any).


7. Turn the bib in the right way and iron flat. Fold and pin the fabric at the opening.


8. Top stitch around the edge of the bib, with a 1/4" seam, ensuring you close the opening you left for turning the bib. Add a snap (click here if you need help to do this), hook and eye or velcro.


Ta-Da! All done. Try mixing the pattern up using three panels or give The Frill Bib or the Denim Bib a go. Feel free to comment below if you have any tips, questions or suggestions.

Thanks for reading

Phoebe xo

No comments:

Post a Comment