I'm writing this post, because as new mum, I think that it is important to start traditions for all types of special events. If you haven't been able to tell from the sewing tutorials that I have shared with you of late, Christmas is my favourite time of the year, so I have been searching for traditions that my family can make our own. These are my favourite 10 traditions, which have been gathered from Pinterest, a bit of Google and chatting with girlfriends.
This is one of my favourites and one we are definitely going to do! It is a present on Christmas Eve, which has Christmas pyjamas, a Christmas movie or a Christmas book, popcorn and chocolate. The idea is to make Christmas Eve an exciting, family time. I've already made the pyjamas!
I also love this idea. Instead of chocolates in the traditional advent calendar, replace them with a book for every night in December! They don't have to be expensive, in fact a colouring in book would work for the days the calendar is opened early in the day!
3. Hang the Christmas Stockings
4. Put up Christmas tree on 1st December
5. Letter to Santa
6. Place a gift under the Kmart Wishing Tree
7. Christmas Eve Santa Sack filling
This was a tradition I came across when writing the Santa Sack Tutorial. It teaches the idea of generosity and giving to those in need. On Christmas Eve, your children take their Santa Sack and fill it with toys/items that they no longer fit into, use or need. They place it under the tree and Santa takes it with him to deliver to kids in need!
9. Make a Gingerbread House
10. Bon Bon Advent Calendar
Another take from the traditional advent calendar, this time with Bon Bons. Visually it looks amazing and you could fill it with whatever goodies you like! I do like the idea of filling it with something nice and whoever opens it first in the morning gets to keep it (this might reek havoc with your sleep though)!
12. Elf on the Shelf
This is a newer tradition that has popped it's head up over the past couple of years. It comes in a little pack and has mum and dad position the Elf doing naughty/funny things during the night, so that the kids wake to find it. It helps to keep the magic of Christmas alive!
14. Someone is Santa on Christmas morning and they hand out all of the presents to everyone
This is something that we already do. Basically, it slows everything down, so that you can see what everybody has received and savour the moment! It can be very entertaining and there is no need to dress up.
Does your family have any traditions that you would like to share?? I would love to hear about them!
Phoebe
xo















You must really love Christmas traditions. Your top 10 quickly became a top 15! :)
ReplyDelete