Thursday, 18 December 2014

Christmas Table Runner Tutorial

I'm trying to be prepared for Christmas this year and with 10 people over for Christmas lunch, I have started to think about our table setting. I've been inspired to make a hessian table runner by some pictures I have seen on Pinterest. A little warning though, it turns out that working with hessian is quite a messy job!! Little pieces of fabric end up everywhere......so finish your project before you clean your house!!




What you will need:
  • Hessian (length depends on your table)
  • 10" contrasting patterned fabric
  • Ribbon, Lace, Flowers


1. Measure your table. Cut the hessian 5" shorter than the length of the table and approximately 15" wide.
**When cutting hessian, mark the width and pull a thread alongside the mark. Remove the thread from the length of the hessian and then cut along the gap.





2. Cut two pieces of contrasting fabric, 15" wide x 5" long.
**Alter the lengths of the fabrics depending on whether you would like the runner to overhang the table or not.

3. Fold the ends of both rectangles of contrasting fabric by 1/4" and press. Fold another 1/4" and stitch in place.


4. Attach each rectangle to the hessian strip, by placing the fabrics right sides together and sewing (using a 1/2" seam) along the exposed edge. Iron seam flat.


5. Add decorative trim. You will find the tutorial for the fabric flowers in an upcoming post!!



And there you go!! A beautiful table runner ready for Christmas lunch!!



Phoebe 
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment